Recent Mold Remediation Posts
Get rid of mold with SERVPRO of Barrington /North Schaumburg
If you discover mold in your house or office, SERVPRO of Barrington/North Schaumburg offers a professional response.
It can be a big surprise when you discover mold in your home. What do you do with mold? The answer is easy: call SERVPRO of Barrington/North Schaumburg to safely and professionally handle the mold problem.
Mold is not something to try and figure out by yourself. Knowing what type of mold was found, how much mold is present, and where and how the mold developed are all elements of our response.
Professional Mold Removal and Cleaning
Despite what you may hear, trying to remove mold on your own can be risky. If there is a large amount of mold in your basement or attic, there are several precautions to take. The first step is to create a barrier to prevent the mold from spreading. You also need to identify the source of the mold; is there a drip or source of moisture that is creating the spores? Also, if you try to remove mold spores on your own, there is a great risk of the spores becoming airborne and spreading to other areas of the home or office.
The best course of action is to call SERVPRO of Barrington/North Schaumburg to evaluate the situation and take the proper steps in eliminating the mold growth.
If you found mold, call SERVPRO of Barrington/North Schaumburg at (847) 526-0090
Schaumburg, Lake Zurich and Barrington 8 Important Facts About Mold
8 Facts About Mold
1) All molds can eventually create a health hazard. Exposure can result in symptoms such as allergic reactions, asthma and more.
2) Symptoms and reactions vary depending on the individual but generally children, elderly and people with respiratory or immune system problems.
3) Mold spores are everywhere within a home. Removing every mold spore is not possible. The best way to reduce mold growth is controlling the moisture level in the home.
4) Mold can create health issues even if it appears to be gone. Trying to kill mold with chemicals is never suggested.
5) Mold growth can be reduced or eliminated by reducing the humidity in the home.
6) Cleaning and drying water damaged property within 24-48 hours is crucial in preventing mold growth.
7) If you clean up large mold areas yourself, spores can become airborne and spread mold to previously unaffected areas. Engaging a professional mold remediation contractor to deal with areas of mold is highly recommended.
8) Cold surfaces with condensation have a higher chance of growing mold. Adding insulation can help prevent mold growth on surfaces such as windows, piping and floors.
For information about mold removal please contact SERVPRO of Barrington/North Schaumburg 24 hours a day/ 7 days a week at (847) 526-0090. We are your local mold remediation specialist.
Barrington, Schaumburg, Hoffman Estates - Common Mold Myths
Everyone has their own interpretation of what mold is. There are many misconception over types of mold, the impact it has on our health, and how to properly remove it. Below are 4 common myths relative to mold.
#1: Bleach Kills Mold: Many people use bleach as a cheap mold removal solution in their homes. In practice bleach can only kill live mold not mold spores. Mold spores are left behind and mold will regrow as soon as food and water are present.
#2: Every Type of Mold is Toxic: Molds are present everywhere and only some molds can impact your health from short or longer term exposure while others are actually beneficial. Many molds in the natural environment help break down organic materials, allowing for other organisms to prosper.
#3: Don't Worry About Small Mold Spots: Small mold spots can grow larger and spread on organic surfaces and in heating and ventilation systems in your home. These spots should be addressed before they grow into a bigger problem.
#4: You Can Remove Mold Yourself: Many people who ultimately hire us to remediate the mold have tried and failed trying to remove the mold themselves. The fact is instead of saving money you may have made the issue worse and in fact increased the cost to properly remediate the mold problem. You should consult with a mold remediation professional before attempting to remediate the problem yourself.
For information on mold remediation or to schedule us to examine the problem and provide an estimate for remediation please contact us, SERVPRO of Barrington/North Schaumburg at (847) 526-0090. We are a 24 hour/7 days a week service company and we are here to help.
Barrington and Palatine - Why is Mold Growing in the Crawlspace or Basement
Palatine IL Basement Mold
Mold cannot grow without moisture or high humidity, so a thorough investigation is necessary to determine the cause of elevated moisture in the crawlspace or basement. In most cases several minor conditions have contributed to creating an major problem.
- Gutter and downspout extensions. For every 1,500 square feet of roof and one inch of rain 1,000 gallons of water drain off the roof. If gutters do not catch the water or the downspout extensions do not carry the water at least 6 feet away, all of that rain water can find its way into the crawlspace or basement.
- The drainage of the yard is sloped back toward the home and drains rainwater back into the crawlspace or basement.
- The condensate drain form the HVAC system can deposit up to 20 gallons of water per day and is sometimes dumped at the edge of the foundation.
- A small unnoticed plumbing leak.
- Foundation cracks can allow groundwater into the crawlspace or basement.
- Rain penetrations through the building envelope such as the seam where a porch joins the home, window or door openings, improperly installed siding or unsealed building exteriors.
- Dryer vents improperly ducted can introduce warm humid air into the crawlspace or basement.
Please call SERVPRO of Barrington/North Schaumburg at (847) 526-0090 for information about mold remediation for your crawlspace or basement.
Does Your Lake Barrington or Inverness Home Have A Mold Problem?
In Lake Barrington and Inverness, mold can spread through a home in as little as 48 hours.
Microscopic mold spores naturally occur almost everywhere, both outdoors and indoors. This makes it impossible to remove all mold from a home or business. Therefore, mold remediation reduces the mold spore count back to its natural or baseline level. Some restoration businesses advertise “mold removal” and even guarantee to remove all mold, which is a fallacy. Consider the following mold facts:
Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
Mold spores are microscopic and float along in the air and may enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet.
Mold spores thrive on moisture. Mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce allergens and irritants.
Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise, the mold may return.
Mold often produces a strong, musty odor and can lead you to possible mold problem areas.
Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent.
If your home or business has a mold problem, we can inspect and assess your property and use our specialized training, equipment, and expertise to remediate your mold infestation.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today – SERVPRO of Barrington/ North Schaumburg at (847) 526-0090
What to do When You Suspect Mold
Title: Barrington area Residents: Follow These Mold Safety Tips If You Suspect Mold
Category: Mold Damage
Photo Caption: Be careful! Without proper training, you could be spreading mold throughout your home.
If you see visible mold, do not disturb it. You can inadvertently spread the mold infestation throughout your home. When mold is disturbed, the mold can release microscopic mold spores which become airborne and can circulate inside your home.
What to Do:
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Turn off the HVAC system and fans.
- Contact SERVPRO of [[Franchise Name]] for mold remediation services.
What Not to Do:
- Don’t touch or disturb the mold.
- Don’t blow air across any surfaces with visible or suspected mold growth.
- Don’t attempt to dry the area yourself.
- Don’t spray bleach or other disinfectants on the mold.
About Our Mold Remediation Services
SERVPRO of Barrington/North Schaumburg specializes in mold cleanup and restoration, in fact, it’s a cornerstone of our business. Our crews are highly trained restoration professionals that use specialized equipment and techniques to properly remediate your mold problem quickly and safely.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today – (847) 526-0090