Possible Causes of House Fires Around the Holidays
When we investigate the causes of house fires during the holidays, most people think of leaving the stove on after cooking, leaving candles lit at night, etc. However, when we delve deeper into the possibilities, that’s where we start to think about causes that didn’t initially come to mind.
Things such as the logs and embers from a fireplace escaping and spreading after not being properly extinguished. Also, because of the low temperature outside, we are forced into using electric gas heaters which can easily fail, combust or overheat. Ducted heating is another big issue that some people run into. If a filter or airway isn’t properly cleaned or emptied, the dust particles and buildup can ignite causing the ducts in the roof to engulf into flame. Electric blankets are also a common cause, a poorly manufactured one can overheat very easily, setting alight bed covers, clothing and even furniture.
Another cause one might not think of is cell phones and electronics, especially those on or near a bed whilst charging. The heat generated from the charging battery can expose a fire risk as they dissipate heat while charging- making them a possible cause of a house fire. This can also be a year-round cause, but people are more likely to be in bed, under warm covers using their phones throughout the winter. The holidays are the most wonderful time of the year, but remember to not let that distract you from thinking of fire prevention.